Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Going up the Nut

Stanley is situated on the far North West Coast of Tasmania. The major attraction of Stanley is The Nut.

The Nut itself is 152m (500 ft) tall, and was formed when lava cooled to form basalt rock. It is possible to either climb The Nut by a walking track, or take a chairlift to the top. The Nut was known as Moo-Nut-Re-ker by the Tasmanian Aboriginals, and by 1851, sailors had come to know it simply as The Nut.

I choose to walk the Nut basically because it didn't look that steep. I was wrong! My heels didn't touch the path as I walked up the track, that's how steep it was.

I stopped several times in the pretense of taking photos of the scenery, I was really catching my breath. :)


This is shot from about one third up the Nut.

Up the Nut




This is roughly the halfway point.
Up the Nut



Up the Nut




Finally at the top!

Up the Nut




Up the Nut




Up the Nut

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great shots of some stunning scenery. Whatever I shoot in the UK just seems to come out covered in rain! Kevin