Friday, May 9, 2008

East Coast of Tas

I mentioned before that my car had a set of white wall tyres after driving on all the dirt roads around St Helens. I have proof just in case you all thought I was stretching the truth.



When day two started I wasted no time in getting lost. This was my first time at St Helens and I was a little turned around with my bearings. Even so, I figured out the location I wanted to get to for the sunrise (St Helens Point). I had to walk out to the point via the track that was signposted at the start. It said in this order, St Helens point, Beer Barrel beach return walk approx 30 minutes. Now maybe I’m an idiot but I would’ve thought that if St Helens point is listed first it would be the first place I would come to first. I was wrong! I headed up the track till I got to a junction. To the left was Beer Barrel beach. To the right there was no sign posted but it did head in the general direction of the point. So I went right. I bashed my way through the trees and brush until I couldn’t force my way any further. I turned around and headed back the way I came only to see the sunrise over the tops of the trees in a beautiful blood red. I was very disappointed to miss it!

After the mornings debacle I headed back to the shack and packed the car up. Since I was already up and had nothing to do I took off early down the coastline. Once again, this was the first time I had travelled down the coast. I saw some wonderful beaches and had to catch myself a couple of times or I would’ve driven into the sea.

I didn’t stop to take any photos till I got to the Freycinet National Park. I drove into Cape Tourville to have a look around and I finally took some photos. The cape has quite a view!









From there I drove into Coles Bay and the Edge of the Bay Resort to get shots of the Hazards. By that time most of the morning had gone, so I finished taking shots and headed for the Tasman Peninsula.

I had planned to drive through the Wielangta National Park just past Orford. It was all dirt road, so after the previous days dirt road excursion I decided to take a different route. I headed towards Buckland but, I didn’t want to go the long way around so I turned off towards Nugent. That was a mistake! As I took the turn off saw a sign out of the corner of my eye. It said something like “road not suitable for ????? Vehicles”, I missed part of it. Anyway it turned out to be a rough, tight, winding, dirt road. Lucky me! For part of the journey I was stuck behind an 18 wheeler which was covering my already dirty car with another layer of dirt. Now for the really ironic part of this tale. At the end of the dirt road it joined the National Park dirt road I had previously chose not to take. That road was at least three lanes wide and in very good condition, I’ll know better next time.

Once I got back onto the main highway it wasn’t long before I reached the Peninsula. I made a stop at Pirates Bay Lookout which takes in views of Eagle Hawk Neck and the East Coast of the Peninsula. Unfortunately the Forestry was burning off the forest, so I had a big smoke cloud in my shots. I also had to fight the continuous smoke haze for the rest of y trip.

I got to my B&B at Safety Cove just after 3.30pm. I settled down for a while waiting for the Port Arthur Ghost tour that night. It was the second time I had done the Ghost tour. I’ve got to say, the first time was much more enjoyable! I think because I had already done it and new the stories, it took some of the excitement out of it.

Then it was bed. I had another long day coming up and I needed some rest. Stay tuned, the story and photos will continue.

1 comment:

Jennifer Rinaldi said...

i loved hearing about your adventure and seeing the sites to go along with it! nice dirty whitewalls! LOL :)