Monday, March 16, 2009

The sun doesn't always shine

Hello all. I am still here I just haven't got a lot to say or show you at the moment. There are no photos today. However, in the mean time I thought I would tell you about a little photo excursion I took a while back. Enjoy! :)


On my recent trip down to Hobart I managed to have a little adventure. It’s not unusual for me to have things happen when I got out taking photos but this one could have been worse.

I was staying with a mate in Hobart. On the last day, Tuesday morning, I planned to leave early and get to the top of Mt Wellington for the sunrise over the city. I went to bed early and got up at 4am. I packed my bags and headed out to the front door. This was when I realized I didn’t know where the exterior light switch was.

I didn’t want to wake anyone so I felt my way to the door while carrying my big travel bag. I opened the door and the screen door and stepped out onto the small landing. That’s when things went horribly wrong! I thought I was still stepping on the landing but my foot went off the edge and I was plummeting towards god knows what in the dark. I ended up face first in his garden. :)

I can laugh now but it could have been a lot worse. I got up and loaded the car then went back inside to see what damage I’d done to myself. I had wood chips all over me, a couple were stuck to my face. I was also bleeding for my right arm a little, nothing much but it has left a bruise.

So stunned and tired I headed up the mountain. It was going well till I had almost reached the top. That’s when I hit a huge cloud bank that was hanging over the top of the mountain. I couldn’t see more than a few metres in front of me but I knew there was a big drop to my left. I got to the top and it was bizarre. I could see weird lights in the clouds that were there for only a moment. Other than that I couldn’t see much. It was freezing cold! I was glad I had trousers and a lined raincoat.

I wondered around for a few minutes trying to get my bearings. I knew the sun wasn’t far away from coming up and I also knew the cloud wasn’t going to lift in time. So I made the decision to head back down without any shots being fired. So I went through all that hassle for nothing, typical really. :)


This story disproves the theory that Tasmania always has great weather for photography. In fact the story doesn't end here. Two weeks later I travelled back down south for the day and made the trip back up the mountain to see what I had missed. Once I got to the top I was greeted with freezing gale force winds and rain. At this point I was beginning to think the mountain had something against me.

I did get some rather bland shots from the lookout platforms which I will process someday. I haven't processed them yet because they really didn't excite me. The most exciting part about the second trip up the mountain was the wind. I tried to climb the short distance to the very top of the mountain but, I was beaten by the elements. I'm almost certain that if I had spread my arms out I would have been blown off the top and would have landed somewhere in Hobart.

IT WAS BLOWING UP THERE!!!

I was very glad I was wearing a wind breaker or I would have completely frozen to death up there. I mean I was cold but I saw some stupid young girl wearing very, very short shorts, thongs (that is flip flops for my American viewers) and a tank top. I can only imagine how unbelievably cold she was.

Anyway I do hope to get some more photos posted soon. I did get some good shots while I was down south. I just need to get motivated to process and post them. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you manage to get back on a day the weather is more cooperative. But, I have to say, its a comfort knowing that like me, you don't always come home with the shots you hoped for... ;-)

(btw...I remember the days when 'thongs' were things you wore on your feet...........)

Julie

Anonymous said...

Funny story - though painful. I'm sure you'll get back up there at somepoint soon. Just to have the option is a plus in my book! Good luck next time. Kevin

Anonymous said...

thanks for letting us know what "thongs" meant. I had the wrong idea completely!

You will get energized for photography again. It goes in spurts at times.

I hope the mountain will be kinder to you next time.