Tuesday, April 29, 2008

St Helens

Last week I went on a holiday to St Helens and the Tasman Peninsula. I headed out for St Helens on the Monday morning going via Scottsdale. I was lucky enough that my neighbours let me stay at their shack at Akaroa, just outside the township of St Helens. I got there around lunch time and after off loading the car I went exploring the area.

My first destination was further up the St Helens Point Road. This was the first shot I took on my holiday.



From there I headed to Binalong Bay and the start of the Bay of Fires. I found a nice little beach area that I could explore by myself.



From Binalong Bay I drove to The Gardens which is about the mid point of the Bay of Fires. I looked for a place to park and almost got my car stuck. After extricating myself I found a better parking spot and went for a walk on the beach. While I was watching the waves hit the beach I had a huge shadow pass overhead. It was a very friendly Molly Hawk! He circled around me several times giving me a chance to get a good photo of him. He wasn't worried about me at all!

More shots of him can be found here.



I spied this little flower as I was walking back to the car. This was the first of several flower shots I'd take in the next few days.



From the Gardens I went back to Binalong Bay and took the turn off towards Eddystone Point. This was a gravel road all the way to Eddystone point. My car which started the day clear was soon very, very dirty. My tyres looked like they were white walls! By the time I got to Eddystone Point it was begining to get late. I took some shots of Picnic rocks and then called it a day.



I ended the day back at the shack and got this sunset shot from the front yard.



At the moment I've only processed the photos from the first day. I still have a lot of images to go through. I hope to get some more done in the coming days.

2 comments:

Jennifer Rinaldi said...

oh my goodness col, these are beautiful! i'm so happy to see some pics from your journey! the bird came out so perfect!

all of them look like paradise to me!

Anonymous said...

I must digg your post so more folks are able to look at it, really helpful, I had a tough time finding the results searching on the web, thanks.

- Joe