Saturday, May 2, 2009

Gossy

I had planned to update my blog with a light hearted post that covered the last few weeks. I guess that will have to wait for another time now.

I started yesterday trying to think of something to write to a grieving friend that would help her through the pain and sadness. I never got around to sending her anything because I found myself distracted with my own grief. The day ended with my own reflection on life and how to deal with the loss of a loved one.

I got a phone call from my mother at work telling me that my cousin “Gossy” was in ICU after suffering a stroke earlier in the morning. At that point little was known and only the immediate family were being allowed in to see him. The doctors induced a coma to help him recover, but it didn’t sound good. As the day progressed I heard some information that he was going to be okay but sadly that was only wishful thinking.

When the blood clot dislodged and caused the stroke it ended up in his brain. It lodged itself in the part of the brain that controls breathing, movement, speech and so forth. In the process it killed off that area of his brain leaving only the life support machines keeping him alive.

At this point he will be kept on life support till Monday at which point the machines will be turned off and he will most likely die. There is a do not resuscitate order in effect should he get worse during the weekend.

He looks so peaceful right now, just like he is sleeping.

You will be missed Gossy!

No comments: