Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Russell Falls

My trip to the Mt Field National park was very enjoyable. I met up with another photographer from the Photo forum, Tim. We had some fun taking shots and shared the gruelling task of a long day of walking.

It was a beautiful spring day and the Waterfalls were spectacular. I never realised how big the Russell Falls actually were until I witnessed them up close. The flow of water was down a little but there was still plenty to admire, especially on the top portion of the falls.

It's a gentle walk to the bottom of the Russell Falls from the visitors centre. The track then kicks up step to the top where the track continues to the Horse Shoe Falls. The sun was too harsh to get a good shot of the Horse Shoe Falls.

The Lady Barron Falls can be reached from here by following a long track. The reduced flow of water and harsh sunlight made these falls hard to photograph, but well worth the effort to see. The walk back to the Visitors centre was flat along side the river until the track suddenly stopped and headed up a huge set of stairs. Thankfully the builders provided some seats at different levels of the climb. It was a long way to the top!

Russell Falls - from the observation deck.



Russell Falls - from higher up the track in Infrared. (Well worth the walk!)



More images from the Mt Field area and the Russell Falls can be found here.

I've also been hooked by HDR (High Dynamic Range) over the weekend. (Thanks Jen!) I have been playing around with a program called Photomatix. This is one of the many creations I've come up with so far.

Strahan - HDR



More of my HDR images can be found here.

2 comments:

Jennifer Rinaldi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Rinaldi said...

LOL! I just saw the nice mention of me getting you hooked on HDR! Love it! :) LOL! And I even got to be in your keywords!

Next...how lucky are you that you got a new photo friend (Tim). I wish I had some Photoforum friends near by that I could meet up with to go on photo journeys!

Ok, on to the photos....can I say AWESOME! I need to find myself some falls in New Jersey. What amazingly awesome results...the HDR enhanced them wonderfully and the IR version of the falls you posted here is SOOOO cool.

Even with the sun giving you difficulty you really lucked out with some awesome work.

Everyone is going to love these when you post them on the forum!

Well done Col, well done!